Hola friends! Just 11 days until Christmas; can you believe it!? I definitely CAN NOT. There is no snow on the ground (which I’m definitely grateful for) and my apartment only has this tiny Charlie Brown fiber optic tree I’ve had since 2006. One of the things that definitely helps it feel like Christmas are all of the lovely decorations. Without that, it just doesn’t feel the same. Fortunately I always have my parents’ house to return to and get that Christmas spirit.
With Christmas coming so soon, I thought it would be fun to participate in this Christmas Survey. I first found it on Sweet Tooth Sweet Life and since then have noticed it on a few other blogs! If you join in the fun, don’t forget to let me know in the comments with a link!
1. Favorite Christmas Album/CD/Song? I am a lover of the classics. White Christmas and I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus are two of my favorites. I also love Feliz Navidad. The songs remind me of trimming the tree with my family and hanging up the Hallmark ornaments they get us every year.
(a small collection of some of my favorite ornaments)
(the ornaments that were part of a the theme “things I always asked for for Christmas but never got” [a dog and a pink Barbie car that I could drive])
2. Run on Christmas morning or take the day off? Well considering I just started running last January after Christmas, I’d have to say take the day off. I don’t plan on running this Christmas either. Gotta keep the tradition alive 😉
3. What do you usually eat on Christmas morning? Growing up a lot of foods were a special treat since my Mom stuck to a strict budget. So for us, Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls and Honey Buns were an extremely special treat that we only had on Christmas morning. It was the best to wake up to that smell. My mom would go down in the morning and start the oven so that we could enjoy the treats in the middle of opening presents. Now that we aren’t on such a strict budget and Sean and I are adults we have incorporated some other things. French toast, eggs, and of course our treat staples. I don’t think we’ll ever stop eating Cinnamon Rolls and Honey Buns on Christmas morning.
4. Favorite holiday or Christmas tradition? These have changed over the years for me. When I was younger, we had Christmas Eve at my Mom’s parents house and each person got a firecracker on their plate to open, we had Christmas breakfast at my house and everyone would come over, and Christmas dinner at my Dad’s Mom’s house where the younger kids would exchange pollyanna gifts (there are a lot of us cousins so it was getting way too expensive for the aunts and uncles to buy gifts for every niece and nephew so we did pollyannas instead. I love this because it actually made each gift more special and exciting to find out who your pollyanna was!). Now that things have changed in the family we have Christmas Eve at my parents’ house where I cook dinner for my Mom’s sister and brother-in-law and Christmas dinner at their house too where my Dad’s side comes over and we have a potluck dinner. The pollyanna tradition is still there for the 18 and younger crowd and the 18 and older crowd started doing secret santa a few years ago. But this year my parents are leaving for San Diego Christmas day so we’ll see what happens! I think ultimately though my favorite tradition is the tradition of being with my family.
5. Real tree, fake tree or no tree? Like I said above, I only have my fake Charlie Brown tree in my apartment. My parents switched to a fake tree years ago because of my Mom’s allergies but I definitely miss the smell of a real tree!(taken in November when it randomly snowed this year)
6. Christmas pajamas… yay or nay? I love themed clothes so yay. But I’ve never had a pair! (that I can remember). I do have plenty of holiday themed socks though!
7. Where do you spend the holidays? Check that long winded explanation above!
8. Food that you always have during the holiday season? Favorite Christmas food/treat? This changes. The past few years I have made crab cakes on Christmas Eve but I don’t feel like it this year. We usually make a broccoli casserole for Christmas day that everyone gobbles up. And the Christmas morning Cinnamon Rolls and Honey Buns are always a staple!
9. Open presents all at once or take turns? We always take turns. My Mom actually went to a lot of trouble to make sure Santa put the same amount of gifts under the tree and also spent the same amount of money on each of us. If Sean had more gifts than me, she would make sure I was the one to open a family gift. Or she would have Sean start first so I wouldn’t notice at the end. It’s the little things that stop any arguments!
10. Favorite Christmas(ish) movie? I love Home Alone (does that count?) and Elf! I also love the classics- How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and the one that includes the Abominable Snowman.
What are your favorite holiday traditions? Don’t forget to link in the comments below if you join the Christmas survey! Don’t forget to enter the Secret Santa giveaway!